Saturday, March 6, 2010

A Really Good Bead Store, The Importance of Finding Good Supplies

I have my eye on a necklace tutorial and have two jewelry projects that I just need to add some finishing touches to, so I headed to a big box craft store after work yesterday. To say that I was disappointed by the jewelry findings selection is an understatement. I could not believe that they didn't have one thing that I was looking for. I actually left empty handed. I really didn't think that Baltimore had any good bead stores, but after some very quick research, came across Beadazzled, located at 501 N Charles St. It's a lovely store, good sized for a bead store, fully stocked and in a charming neighborhood (this is, after all, charm city). The staff was friendly and helpful and they had EVERYTHING I was looking for.
I'm sure that I'm not telling you something you don't know, but to truly be successful in craft making, I highly recommend that you don't just take what you can find in a big box store. If you find what you want there, then by all means, use your 40% off coupon and call it a day. But if you don't find what you want, don't settle. Chances are you'll feel like your final product is just ok, if you feel that the fabric (for example) that you purchased for it is just ok. I cannot encourage you enough to visit independent sellers of jewelry supplies, fabrics and any other things crafty. Both in person and on line. The people that own and run these stores are real experts in their field and are often incredibly helpful and usually very kind. Some of my favorite fabric websites are:
Hope you are finding a little creative time this weekend!

1 comment:

  1. This is exactly how I feel about materials too. I've been to the Beadazzled in Dupont, and needless to say, it's going to be my home-away-from-home once I move down to your neck of the woods!

    ReplyDelete