Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A Present for Grandma's Birthday

When I made the difficult decison to move from the midwest to the east coast, the one thing that gave me much comfort was that I finally would get to live close to my grandma. She lives nearby in D.C. My family has always been rather far flung across the country and I guess the world for that matter, so getting to know her so well since I have become an adult has been a wonderful and unexpected gift. Her 85th birthday is coming up in early April, so I knew a special present was in order. It's important to note that no one supports my creative endeavors like Grandma does. And she would honestly be offended if I were to give her a store bought gift. I gave a lot of thought as to what I should make for her, eliminating recent gifts (totes, embroidered dish towels, fabric baskets) and finally came upon this pillow tutorial, found via the Sew, Mama Sew blog. It was honestly a pretty quick project. Mostly finished during a marathon night of Olympic viewing. The most difficult part was deciding if I wanted to add embroidery, if I did add embroidery-what would it be and what color thread to use. I finally decided to embroider the friuts of the spirit (Liz-thanks for the idea) in a fuschia thread. I really like the way it turned out and hope to incorporate applique into more projects in the future.

1 comment:

  1. It turned out so great! I love that you are so quick with your projects. I have a way of drawing things forever. Hope she liked it.

    Liz

    ReplyDelete