Friday, November 2, 2012

4 Things

This was my view when I walked outside on Wednesday morning.  I was so thankful to see the sun!  Things have been a bit rough around these parts as we hunkered down and waited for Hurricane Sandy to pass through, earlier this week.  We were incredibly fortunate here in Baltimore and other than very heavy rain and wind (although scary and violent at times), did not suffer from much damage.  My heart is broken watching all of the scenes from New York, New Jersey and other places up the coast.  The devastion has been weighing on my mind.  Many thoughts and prayers are being sent their way!  I realize that I could have easily been in that exact situation, if the storm had followed a different path.  Certainly makes me appreciate every flip of the light switch, every drop of clean drinking water.  
 As I waited for the storm to pass, I did have a few candles burning.  In case the power, went out, I didn't want to be in complete darkness.  I thought these were pretty on a vintage tray that I love. 
I was stuck at home for about 36 hours and while I never lost power, one can only watch so much tv and surf the internet for so long.  I happen to love puzzles, and happened to pick this one up at the Dollar Tree a few weeks ago.  I can't remember the last time I bought one, let alone worked on one.  I was so happy when I remembered that I had this one on hand.  This is the progress I made in one evening.  For 500 pieces, I thought I made a pretty good dent!

Think:  I love this about taking are of what you have.  Something to think about as we near Thanksgiving.
Make: Looking for some handmade inspiration?  Every November, I love to follow Sew Mama, Sew's Handmade Holiday postings.  For the entire month of November, they post an assortment of gifts that you can make with a theme.  For example, Nov 1st was Gifts for Little Kids.  I not only use this to think of gifts to make for Christmas, but also reference it for the upcoming year. 
Cook:  I recently found out that I have to follow a nut free/peanut free diet, which poses a problem particularly when it comes to lunch!  I can't wait to try Lunch Without Nuts: 19 Simple Ideas for Peanut-Free Lunches, from One Crafty Place.  Lots of original ideas, even if you can eat nuts. 
Entertain:  With the holidays ahead, there is a lot of entertaining to prepare for.  And not just the main event.  If you have guests coming, you have to feed them before and after Thanksgiving dinner too!  Check out this Guide to What to Cook When Company Comes from Life In Grace.  What a wonderful list of recipes!  She also did a whole month long of tips for October on Hospitality which are thoughtful and useful.

Hope this finds everyone safe and warm.  Hoping that we all have an uneventful and dry week ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment