Thursday, August 30, 2012

4 Things.

I'm getting ready to participate in my first flea market in a little over a month and have been cleaning out my closets in preparation.  I've been coming across some things that feel like old friends.  The best find was this Matryoshka doll (russian nesting doll) that I received as a Christmas present from a friend in high school.  She will definitely be staying home with me!
And now, for this week's 4 Things.

Travel:  Do you have any fall travel plans?  (I do!!)  Is there anything worse than being stuck on a long flight with nothing decent to eat in for foreseeable future?  (There isn't.)  How about these 5 Plane Picnic suggestions?

Read: I recently read about the Class of 2016 Mindset List, that apparently a little school in Wisconsin-Beloit College, has been putting out since 1998.  This list "provides a look at the cultural touchstones that shape the lives of students entering college this fall."   The class of 2016 was born in 1994 and have never seen an airplane ticket, have never owned a set of encyclopedias and have never eaten a tan M&M.  And they've never know a world without the blue M&M.  Can you imagine?  You can read the complete list here.

Consider:  With the coming of fall, also comes cold and flu season.  I come from a long line of hypochondriacs, grew up fearing any sort of illness and was rushed to the doctor for a runny nose.  (In my parent's defense, I did suffer from chronic asthma.)  I enjoyed this post about convalescence, from SouleMama.  She mentions the expectations of our modern world to pop a pill and magically become well once illness strikes, when in reality, what is often really needed rest and time to heal.  Much to think about.

Eat: I made this recipe for Corn and Crab Cakes from Skinny Taste.  Delish!   Healthy and easy.  And you can make them up and refrigerate ahead of time (sometimes this is a good option).  Pairing them with a simple salad and sweet potato fries made for a perfect dinner.  I would recommend making a simple remoulade or aioli to serve over the cakes.  And adding a liberal sprinkling of Old Bay (at least that's how we do it here in Maryland!)

Have a wonderful holiday weekend!  My office is closing at 2pm today (yea!).  I am planning on laying low and finishing the aforementioned closet clean out. (It is becoming quite the undertaking!)

No comments:

Post a Comment