Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Salsa-fy It: Cucumber Salsa

Now that I've visited the farmer's market (in my case, the 32nd St Market in Waverly), what do you do with all those lovely vegetables? In the words of a friend (which I recently explained my predicament) SALSA-FY it! She also recommended this delicious recipe for... Cucumber Salsa. Light, healthy and delicious. Even better with locally grown, just picked baby cucumbers (so sweet!) and heirloom tomatoes (I finally get the hype, intense yet delicate flavor). Good with chips, but also equally good as a topping on a piece of fish or as a side along a piece of chicken.
Head to your local farmer's market and then try this recipe!
Cucumber Salsa
-2 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded and diced. (I used 4 baby cucumbers, they may officially be called pickling cucumbers. Their seeds were very delicate, so I decided to leave them in.)
-2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped. (I used heirloom tomatoes. Worth it!)
-1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped. (I omitted it. Jalapenos scare me. My very sensitive skin literally cannot handle them. I didn't have the appropriate gloves. But did add a couple of dashes of sriracha.)
-1/2 red onion, chopped. (Did you know that if you put an onion in a ice water bath for about 5 minutes, that it takes the "bite" out of the taste? Before discovering this tip, I never would have eaten a raw onion. Now, I can take it. In small doses.)
-1 clove garlic, minced.
-juice of one lime.
-handful of cilantro, chopped.
-handful of parsley, chopped. (I forgot to buy this, but added some dried parsley.)
-1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed. (I didn't have this either. Left it out.)
-Salt to taste.
Mix all ingredients, then refrigerate for at least an hour to let flavors mingle. Will keep in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. If it lasts that long!

No comments:

Post a Comment