Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Stash and Dash

I bought Amy Butler's Stash and Dash pattern a while ago, rediscovered it the other day and decided to give it a try. I made the medium size, the Makeup Bag, but added a nylon webbing strap so that I could use it as a wristlet. It's made out of a regular old inexpensive, medium weight, black canvas and a fun map print (poly, I'm sure), that I bought for a steal ($2.25 for at least a yard, it wasn't marked) at the Knittn' Kitten in Portland, OR last summer. If you ever find yourself in Portland (I happened to be there on a business trip), I highly recommend that you bring extra luggage and visit Knittn' Kitten. It's a craft thrift store, a concept that I have not heard of or seen since! It's a pretty small place, but packed to the gills with fabric, yarn, beads, sequins, notions, you name it! I ended up with just the yard or so of fabric, I was overwhelmed and didn't have much luggage with me. It also happens to be conveniently located on the way to downtown Portland from the airport. An interesting business concept, no? While I don't see myself opening my own thrift store, have been considering ways of getting rid of excess craft items. Perhaps a swap meet? But I digress...
This little bag went together pretty quickly, although the instructions did seem a little fiddly at times (but it could just be me, given my profession I find the quickest and easiest sewing method to get things done) and I wish that pockets had been included. So after trying my hand at the "Makeup Bag", I'm going to give the bigger size, the "Toiletry Bag" and probably add some credit card size pockets to the lining, so that I could fit in my ID and debit card without having to stuff in my whole wallet. Perhaps a cell phone pocket too.

No comments:

Post a Comment