Saturday, April 28, 2012

Flea Market Finds: A Good Citizenship Medal, A Souvenir & A Demonic Owl. Instastyle

I've been on a quest to find some "vintage" items for some projects and finally had a little bit of success today.  A lot of bloggers tend to find things at thrift stores.  I have never had much luck at a thrift store.  I recently read that it's best to visit thrift stores during the week and not on the weekend, that the mid-week visit is the key to finding great stuff.  That's not really an option for me (that pesky career of mine keeps me busy during business hours), so I decided to follow the other tip I received this week and visit garage sales and flea markets on the weekends.  I found one flea market going on this weekend, in Mount Airy, MD.  A bit of a drive, and I almost didn't go, given the very chilly weather.  But I pulled on my boots and coldgear headed out.  Here's what I found.  (Pictures taken with Instagram.  If interested, you can follow me on Instagram @emilytutorialtrials.)


I picked up this straw tote.  I have a weakness for straw totes, particularly ones that are souvenirs.  In fact, I would love to start my own collection of these.  (I have one other one, so now I can officially say that I have a collection, right?)  So I couldn't pass this one up. Perhaps I should have, because it was not in as mint condition as I thought.  Of course, I didn't discover this until I got it home.  It has a small water spot on the front and a small hole in the lining.  So, maybe I can't actually use it as a tote.  I'm also considering turning this into some sort of wall hanging, framing it somehow.  I still love the colors.


A demonic little owl.  I realize that in her current state, she is nothing short of creepy.  But I promise, I have big plans on her becoming cute.  Hopefully really cute.  Stay tuned for an "after" picture of this little one.

I have this little dream of making a bunch of little notebooks.  Perhaps this is the tiny business I should start? (A hobby business.) I thought these bingo cards would make great notebook covers.  Even if I just make them for fun.


 I bought this for the FRAME only.  No, I don't yearn to receive a "Good Citizenship Medal."  And I haggled her down to a $1.  And to think, I almost bought a frame just like this for $12.99 yesterday!  I also have a project all planned for this one.


If there is something I can't pass it, it's a nice container.  I can't explain it.  But there are endless uses for this little jar.  Lots of crafty things I can store it in.  And a real deal for $0.75!

The flea market visit was totally worth it!  I found quite a few things that I was looking for.  And a few things for future projects.  There is some good blog content on the horizon!  Stay tuned, dear readers, stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment