Friday, March 4, 2011

The Candle Wrap Up

(pictures of candles, sorry they are such a yawn... not a very compelling subject matter)
It's been just about two weeks since I attempted candle making and wanted to make some final comments. Like all things in life, success in candle making depends on trial and error. The actual function of the candles has been great. No issues there. The "flow" of the candles (that's the official term for a candle's scent), that's another story. The first two batches of candles I made don't have a very strong scent when burned. Not terrible, but I wouldn't say that it fills a room. The first batch was made with a purchased "Pineapple Cilantro" oil and the second batch was made with a combination of Lemon and Orange Essential Oils. The candles made with the essential oils ended up smelling a lot like cleaning supplies. And not in a good way. Guess I'll be saving those for a power outage! Since I bought such a large amount of soy wax last time, I'm going to make another batch this weekend. So, if you happen to know me, chances are you'll be receiving a candle from me soon! What else does one do with all these candles? I do plan on bringing some back home with me for Easter, they will make a nice gift. Since I wasn't that happy with the fragrances I had purchased locally, I went on line an bought additional fragrances here. I ended up getting Coconut Vanilla, Almond Macaroon, Lilac and Oatmeal Milk and Honey. I also sprung for some non food grade containers, bought a couple of traditional ball jars at craft supply store of only about a $1 each, another glazed pot from the dollar spot at Target and a pretty ceramic pot that was on sale at another craft store. This has been an interesting experiment, but candles may be one of those things that are easier purchased than made!

No comments:

Post a Comment